What Are Cataracts?
Cataracts are a condition that occurs when the clear lens of the eye hardens and becomes clouded. At Empress Eye Clinic, we teamed up with top specialists in Toronto to co-manage cataract surgery to provide ongoing patient care.
Signs and symptoms of cataracts include:
- Clouded, blurred, or dim vision
- Increasing difficulty with vision at night
- Sensitivity to light and glare
- Need for brighter light for reading and other activities
- Seeing “halos” around lights
- Frequent changes in lens prescription
- Fading or yellowing of colours
- Double vision in a single eye
Types of Cataracts
There are several types of cataracts, including:
A nuclear cataract causes the lens to gradually turn to a yellow or brown colour.
A cortical cataract begins as whitish opacity on the outer edge of the lens and slowly extends throughout the entire lens over time.
Posterior Subcapsular Cataracts
A posterior subcapsular cataract starts as a small opaque area near the back of the lens and quickly progresses.
Congenital cataracts are present at birth or developed during childhood. They don’t always affect vision, but if they do, they’re typically removed quickly.
Cataract Surgery Explained
Cataract surgery is an effective treatment that typically follows these steps:
- Your surgeon will use a numbing agent or medication to numb the area before the surgery.
- Using a blade or laser, your surgeon will create a small incision in your eye and, if necessary, break up the cataract lens.
- Using a suction device, the surgeon removes the cataract lens and inserts a replacement intraocular lens.
- Your surgeon will close the incision and allow you to rest for at least 15 minutes before approving you to head home.
Book a Consultation Today
At Empress Eye Clinic, we teamed up with top specialists in Toronto to co-manage cataract surgery to provide ongoing eye care to our patients. If you suspect you may have cataract, booking an appointment with us today.
Empress Eye Clinic is directly accessed by the Yonge-University Subway from North York Subway Station or easily by vehicle from Hwy 401. We’re located in the heart of North York, Ontario, at Empress Walk Mall, on the 2nd floor.
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Tuesday: 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Wednesday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Thursday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Friday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Saturday: 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Ask Us About Direct Insurance Billing
Wow, what a great experience! I was able to book a same-day appointment after calling multiple optometrists in the area with an eye emergency. Both Dr.Heshmati and Dr.Habib took their time with me – it didn’t feel rushed at all, and they always ensured I was comfortable and were diligent in getting to the solution of my issue! Not only were the doctors exceptional, but the front desk staff went above and beyond to ensure I had my following appointments booked and that I had all my questions answered! All in all, fantastic experience. I highly recommend this location and wish other practices held to their standard.
Best place to go to if you’re having your first contact lenses eye exam
The receptionist (Ms. Emma & Ms. Sam rat) are really nice and polite, helped with keeping my things safe and measuring my eyes!
Dr. Heshmati is really great too, before I was using glasses and he tested me with my glasses and apparently my glasses had the wrong prescription so I couldn’t see well with them. He even gave me a great discount offer I couldn’t refuse when buying contacts with them!
The helper (Ms. Sara) is so helpful as well and has such a positive attitude as well and super friendly too. She even assisted me with putting on contact lenses and taking them off as well.
Overall, I enjoyed my visit and I’m “empressed” with my visit here. Keep up the great work!
I’ve never had an eye appointment before so I didn’t know what to expect. The staff was absolutely wonderful! Dr Heshmati was so kind and thorough and knowledgeable…he explained everything he was going to do so well and helped me with my prescription.
I had help from a wonderful lady whose name I didn’t catch…she helped me pick out the perfect frames for my new glasses and was so patient and helpful.
The staff was so friendly and approachable. I had a great experience and I highly recommend this clinic to anyone needing their eyes checked!